Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Fourths's of the Past

In the spirit of the Fourth of July and all of the American pride and spirit that arises during this time of year (World Cup, Independence Day . . . how can we not be spirited?!) I have decided to dedicate this post to the Fourths of the past.

Many families have a set tradition of what they do for Independence Day. Mine, not so much. But, in the past few years we have come up with a pretty solid plan, for Fourth of July weekend. My mom, sister, and I pack our bags and head down to North Carolina to celebrate our independence on the beach! That right folks, I'm going on another road trip (last known one of the summer though). We spend the weekend sunning and reading and playing a mean, weekend-long game of Phase 10! It's really great to get together and just have a long girls weekend. But it wasn't always like this . . .

In past years my family has celebrated the Fourth in many way. Once I celebrated it in the mountains of West Virginia rafting down the New River while my family was at home in RVA. Another year I celebrated in Princeton, NJ while, again, my family was in RVA. When we were really young, we would go to Edenton and watch the fireworks over the Edenton Bay. In grade school we would go to the beach with friends for a week!

As you can see, my family doesn't really have a set "Fourth of July weekend vacation" but whatever we do, we do in style! Just one day away!

P.S. If you happen to be on a beach in North Carolina and see a blonde girl skipping down the beach singing "And I'm proud to be an American" . . . it's probably me . . . 

Does your family have any special Fourth of July traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment