Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Breakfast at Panera

I have always wondered what the point of the two hour delay was. It had barely ever been used and when called, they would end of canceling school anyway so my county eventually just stopped calling delays and started canceling school. Now I understand the two hour delay. The past two days (Tuesday and Wednesday) have been freezing thanks to the Polar Vortex. Because of this ridiculously cold weather, my county called a two hour delay two days in a row. This was the biggest blessing I could have gotten this week.

Going back to school after winter break is hard enough as it is but I think the hardest part is training your body to wake up early . . . again. Monday was treacherous, having to get up and 6 in order to be at school by 7. I was like a walking zombie the whole day, the only thing getting me through the day was knowing I had showchoir rehearsal after school. While at showchoir I found out about the two hour delay and when I got home, Carey and I immediately made plans to go out to breakfast the next morning with Morgan  and Meredith.

The four of us had a blast at breakfast and went to school energized from our extra hour of sleep and anticipating the day! Tuesday went by in a flash and before I knew it, Holly was announcing to the cast of Tarzan (January 23, 24, and 25 at 7:30 in the James River High School Theatre. Tickets are $5 for student and $10 for adults) that we were having ANOTHER two hour delay. This time, I was ready. Carey, Morgan, Meredith and I made plans right then and there to get breakfast again.

Get breakfast was exactly what we did. This morning Carey and I braved the freezing weather and piled our stuff and our bodies into my car as we made out way to pick up the other half of the "McBeavers" (it's a thing . . . I swear!). When we got there, Meredith and Morgan were ready to go. Throwing their bags in my trunk, they hurried to join Carey and I in the warmth of my car. We then jammed out to the Positive Hits PER on the way to Panera Bread for one of the most delicious breakfasts I have ever had and some of the most amazing company I have ever experienced!

The point is, I wasn't sure about this whole "two hour delay" thing when it was first called. I remember thinking, Why not just cancel school all together right now, that's probably what they are going to do anyway. But, as a result I had two of the most fantastic days of school I have had this academic year, a breakfast from Panera I will NEVER forget, and precious time spent with friends that I wouldn't trade for anything. These two hour delays have been a blessing in disguise and something I really needed!

"Breakfast alone by gaslight is about as ghastly as champagne in daylight," Jessie Douglas Kerruish, The Undying Monster: A Tale of the Fifth Dimension

No comments:

Post a Comment