Sunday, December 29, 2013

A Vicarious Princess

More than anything I wish I was a princess. Of course, not really, I am actually very satisfied with my life. But sometimes, somedays, I just fall back into fairytale land; the land where dreams come true, and everyone gets their happily ever after. It is my dreamland. In this dream land I am a princess and I have magnificent dresses and a massive closet and fabulous dancing skills (I have to with all of those balls I attend) and, of course, my prince charming. This is my fairytale, not reality.

The majority of the time I just enjoy living the life of a princess vicariously through the lives of other princesses, real or fiction. The main way I do that is through movies. Movies depict fairytales in such a beautiful, dramatic, romantic way and the life a princess is their absolute favorite and guess what! It's my favorite too! Now I love a good science fiction, superhero movie as much as the next geek but, when I am in the mood -- that special, royal mood -- there is only one genre for me, princess!

Today I spent the whole entire day wrapped up in a blanket in front of the TV watching movie after movie after movie after movie after movie after movie about princesses. I started with all 3 A Cinderella Story's and then watched Disney's Enchanted and then I made a round-trip to Rome and back with Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck in one of my favorites Roman Holiday. I was completely lost in my fantasy land filled with glitz and glamour, class and grace, and my handsome prince! 

Sometimes it is good to live in a fairytale world. We live in a world where the reality is so depressing. Take A Cinderella Story for example. Sam's reality was that she would never be good enough for Austin Ames and why should she be. She was poor, had no real family, and was "diner girl". But as soon as she took a step back from reality and realized what life could be, as soon as she entered "fairytale" world, she became good enough for Austin, in her eyes and his (even if he waited for the rain). Even at 17 I still dream that I am a princess and sleep with my princess Aurora doll; the fairytale world is a part of my and I hope it never leaves.

"At midnight I'll turn into a pumpkin and drive away in my glass slipper." Audrey Hepburn, Roman Holiday

No comments:

Post a Comment