Sunday, December 1, 2013

Tried and Failed

So, as you guys already know, starting and maintaining a blog is one of my dreams. I have always wanted to blog. I have had maybe a total of 5 Blogger blogs, 1 WordPress blog, and 2 Tumblr blogs, all which have failed (disclaimer: my blog Simply Southern Class has not failed and is not included in this count). These have all failed for many reasons, but the main one is discouragement. 

With each of these blogs I got discouraged because I felt like I should have 1,000 followers after the first post. When this didn't happen I had less and less motivation to post and soon my blogs just started sitting there, unattended and looked after. I left them to rot. 

Over the summer I started the blog The Virginian (has since been deleted) and I was determined to keep with it. The problem with The Virginian was my inability to develop content. I didn't know what I wanted to blog about, what my target audience was, and, honestly, what I was doing. I was a fish completely lost at sea and I was scarred and lack all motivation to continue. Well, needless to say The Virginian had maybe 3 or 4 posts on it before I completely abandoned it. The Virginian lasted a total of 4 days.

A few weeks ago I took my dog Brighton to Stony Point Fashion Park to meet with my friend Leigh, who was home from college for the weekend. We were chatting and she asked me how my bog was doing. I told her that The Virginian had kind of fallen apart. I told her that I really wanted The Virginian to succeed, but it was difficult and I just lost all motivation. Leigh looked me right in the eye and said, "Maybe you like the idea of blogging better than actually blogging." I thought about this for a few weeks because, up till then that had been true. I loved the idea of having a blog but I had no clue what I was doing and I was just unable to keep up with it. 

A week later The College Prepster posted Motivation Behind Blogging. This post could not have come at a better time because what Leigh had said to me at Stony Point the week before was still fresh on my mind. I read it with an open mind and it really inspired me, once again, to give blogging another shot! 

Well, all in God's timing, the that following Wednesday my youth pastor Jon talked about dreams. After that talk I really knew that I needed to do something. So I went home that night and started Catty Cornered Café!

I have tried to create successful blogs so many times (8 to be exact) and have failed. The reason these blogs failed was due to many things but I think, looking back on it, the main reason was because I was in the wrong mindset. Then I had NO clue what in the world I was blogging for or who I was blogging for. Now I know. I am blogging for myself, and to get my thoughts out of my head. To share my ideas with whoever is willing to listen. To write for the sake of writing. This is why I am determined not to let CCC fail, because I have a reason to blog; because it means something. 


No comments:

Post a Comment