Monday, December 9, 2013

Bookshelf: Death of a Salesman


This is one of my personal FAVORITES! Oh my gosh this play is so good, I have read it three times and will totally read it again!

Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman: Certain Private Conversations in Two Acts & a Requiem is one of the most amazing play I have ever read. Arthur Miller studies so many different themes throughout the play but the main one is the falsehood of the American Dream and how it is built through capitalism. It is truly a beautifully written play with so many complex characters and motifs. 

The play follows aging traveling salesman Willy Loman and private thoughts and interactions with his sons, Biff and Harold "Happy", and wife, Linda, along with whoever else he comes into contact with. It is written in a stream of consciousness format so you really see the way that Willy thinks and what is going on in his mind. You don't have to be a traveling salesman to understand the themes of this play, hey you don't even have to be 60 (Willy's age). There is something in this book for everyone of all ages, I get something different out of it every time I read it!

Death of a Salesman will always be one of my favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment