Saturday, December 21, 2013

Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?

Do you wanna build a snowman? This question was asked in one of my absolute favorite songs from Disney's Frozen by Princess Anna. At first it seems simple and stupid, but that is just on the surface. Underneath this question is a meaning far deeper than any 5 year old in the theater can comprehend. To Princess Anna, building a snowman means so much more than just building a snowman, it means having her sister back in her life.

"Do you wanna build a snowman? Come on let's go and play! I never see you anymore, come out the door, it's like you've gone away. We used to be best buddies, and now we're not. I wish you would tell me why. Do you wanna build a snowman? It doesn't have to be a snowman . . . Okay bye." Princess Anna, Do You Wanna Build a Snowman?

Carey, Morgan, Meredith, Emma and I saw Frozen yesterday (it was my second time!) and I was talking to Carey about it last night. During our chat, we discussed this song. All week I have been playing the soundtrack and it has been background music to Carey's studying. She thought the song was stupid. While we talked she told me that while she had been listening to it throughout the week she thought, "What in the world is so special about a snowman," but now she understands. The snowman holds so much meaning for Anna, it is how she deals with her grief, her loneliness. It is now one of Carey's favorites too!


If you haven't heard it, please listen to it and then go see the film. There is so much meaning in the lyrics of this song and the rest of them in the movie.

So now let me ask you, "Do you wanna build a snowman?"

No comments:

Post a Comment